Saturday 2 May 2009

I have been thinking a lot about the semiotics in fashion recently. I am imagining that we, as in the person we think of ourselves as, is not to be found within our bodies, and instead we are purely responses to everything around us. I imagine that we turn ourselves inside out so that skin becomes flesh, then this exchange we are imbibed within impresses itself onto our pliable natures or putty-like brains and the indentation then creates a delta or rift or mountain range of peaks on our surface for more stimuli to travel over, react to. This is what I think we are.

Fashion likes to mirror this basic process of interaction that makes what we are and displays to us the currents and trends of the time, taking into account of course the non-trendy trends, using visuals and identification to attract us or repel us as each case determines. I like the thought that something fashionable can travel over and through humans like a viral game of tag and sometimes we join in and sometimes we don't. I don't think we can choose. That woman with the red shoes that I saw tonight has infected me.

2 comments:

  1. love this idea of fashion infection. did u shake the red shoe bug or did it take hold and weaken u into submission?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..oh, submission of course, definitely a sickness :)

    ReplyDelete