Monday 25 May 2009

Lilies and Natality



This is an image I picked up of the harbour burning in Chania, and the mosque. In real life the mosque is pink stone, a very beautiful building.



After reflecting a little on the fleshy nature of some lilies I have been enjoying, it seemed as if the petals were too rich, too perfectly designed to be real. Then Y and I decided that a painting of these petals would seem unreal. And there you have it, a flower so beautifully carries the whole burden of reality upon its resplendence.



Got very excited yesterday over Hannah Arendt's concept of Natality. Shall be adding more.

2 comments:

  1. --Y and I decided that a painting of these petals would seem unreal--

    Aaaah, but lilies have inspired some of the greatest of all botanical illustrations! This is a moment where I don't believe any hesitation in selflinking is warranted: see one (shh! don't tell anyone that's probably my favourite post on Bib) and two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Selflink away - beautiful pictures :) I love the faithful rendering of reality by the artists you feature. No existential crisis there! :)

    ReplyDelete